Friday, April 9, 2010

La Peur D'aimer, Haitian Movie= afraid of falling in love

My name is Abner Richet, I am actually living in the Seattle city area in the west coast. Where I live, there aren't too many Haitians. I practically live my life as an American, not that I am trying to offend anyone by avoiding my Haitian culture. It is just that there isn't a Haitian community in Seattle that I know of. Before I saw the Haitian movie 'La Peaur Daimer' I had absolutely no clue that Haitian people were so talented.

In 2006 I went to Fort-Lauder to spend Christmas with my family. While my family was in the living-room having communication with one another, I heard my female cousin Eunide mentioning a Haitian movie in the title of La Peaur D'aimer. I promptly went to a Haitan store that is located on the corner between Powereline Road and Sunrise Boulvard. I have seen many Haitian movies in that little store. I was happy to be able to purchase the movie La Peur D'aimer. My French is not that great, so I slowly took my time to have a better understanding of what was being said in the movie. Otherwise, I would be lost and unable to translate it into English to my American friends. I enjoyed watching the movie because of the lesson that was tought in it, therefore, i strongly recommend seeing La Peur D'aimer- especially to anyone who is afraid of falling in love. I have seen it at least 15 times,which proves how much I enjoyed it and that I still cannot get enough of it.


I wish the movie had English subtitles so that more of my American friends could understand it. Those who have understood it, loved it. I believed La Peur D'aimer was one of the finest Haitian movies ever made. It shows the sweetness, pain, and confusion of jealousy. Haitian people appreciate good french diction in movies; La Peur D'aimer has that.


It troubled me that the main character Reginal Lubin ditched his fiance Joanne in front her friend Deborah. I would never embarass my girl in front of her friend.

The movie was well organized, well done and I loved it.

Maintenant, Je voudrais parler en frencais.....please excuse my french because my french is sort of poor and please do not laugh but I will try my very best to actually say what I want to say in french. Monsieur Reginal Lubin, Je rend homage a toi mon ami pour ce bon message que tu as sercule dans la communautee Haitienne.......Merci pour ce bon travail que Dieu te benisse.

Abner T. Richet

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting movie and I like that you picked something most of your classmates will not have seen. However, I don't see any course concepts mentioned in this post. I also don't see any analysis of the movie. You summarize how you found the film and the general message. You could have analyzed how this message is conveyed through film form and content. Or you could have discussed what the film says about gender. Just two examples of the type of analysis we are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your constructive critisism....Next time I will try my very best to make it more clear and more understandable for my readers.

    ReplyDelete